Q & A

If you want to know more Work Experience and Structured Workplace Learning, we have answered all of the common questions (so far) that students seem to have.

What jobs can't I do?
Talk to the Careers Teacher about what activities you can do. Any activity involving risks to your health and safety need to be carefully assessed before approval is given.  Some jobs also require you to know about specific Work, Health and Safety (WH&S) before you can work in the workplace. For example, to be on a building site, you have to have successfully done the General WH&S Induction Course for Construction. You will also need to apply for a White Card. Similarly, to take part in any VET work placements, you must have done some WH&S training in the course beforehand.

Can I do Work Experience with my family or at a place where I already work?
Yes, you can however we would like you to explore going somewhere different so you can learn new skills. How will I get to work? You will have to plan and travel your own way to and from work and meet your own travel costs.

Do I get paid?
That depends on the placement. You may be eligible to be paid the minimum rate of pay for work experience which is $5 a day under the Victorian Work Experience Agreement. Depending on the Core units covered in a School Based Trainees and Apprenticeships, you may be eligible to be paid their award wage while on the job.  If you would like to learn more.

What will be expected of me while I am at work?
When you are undertaking workplace learning, you are a representative of our school and we have high expectations of you. The following list outlines these expectations:
  • behave like a new employee
  • follow the rules of the workplace
  • dress appropriately for the workplace
  • carry out any directions given by your workplace supervisor, especially about safety
  • show enthusiasm, initiative and smile
  • ask questions ifyou are not sure about something
  • ask for another task when you have completed what has been set for you
  • be polite, courteous and well mannered
  • listen to instructions
  • be willing to learn
  • be on time every day
  • contact your class teacher if you cannot attend work for any reason (if you are sick etc).
  • attend your placement for the normal hours of that business (unless you have negotiated otherwise)

Do I have to do school work there?
Yes....you will be asked to keep a time sheet and journal of your experiences

What happens if I don't like it?
Let the Careers Teacher or your classroom teacher know as soon as possible. Remember that this is a new experience and you may find that things get better after a day or two. Talk to your workplace supervisor if you are having any problems.

Can I talk about what happens at work?
Of course you will want to tell your family and friends all about your workplace. This is fine, however you must remember that the client and business information of your workplace is private. You must not talk about those things to anyone. If you are unsure, talk to the Careers Teacher or your workplace supervisor about what you can and can't talk about outside of work.

What if I have an accident or get injured?

  • refer to your emergency procedures card
  • let your employer and the school know as soon as possible
  • you are covered by insurance if you get hurt at work or while travelling to and from work, as long as you have completed all the work placement paperwork before you start the placement.
  • You may not be covered if the injury or damage was your fault or if you did not obey clear instructions
  • If you would like more information.